Friday, May 22, 2015

Not just about us

I recently posted on Facebook that I am voting for Hillary Clinton in 2016 because I want my four grand-nephews, ages 20 years old, 17 years old, 3 years old and 10 days old, and my 4 year old grand-niece to know that I care about them.  I also want them to know that I care about their future.  The 2016 election is not just about ensuring and protecting my generation or even my nieces and nephew's generation.  Oh no, there is so much more at stake than just what will happen in the next decade or two.  We must begin now to do all that we can do to protect and preserve our government, our Constitution, our country, our land and our planet Earth for the generations to come.

What is the legacy that we want to pass on to the those just reaching adulthood, those still enjoying their childhood, those just being born and those still to be born?  Do we want them to know that we cared enough about one another to protect the Social Service programs like Social Security, Medicare, Snap and Head Start because we know and believe that people who need help must be able to receive help?  Do we want them to know that they have good affordable healthcare coverage because we worked hard to fix the problems and refused to elect those who would destroy it?  Do we want them to understand that we took good care of those who answered our country's call to serve?  That we not only saluted our veterans and thanked them for their service, but that we also ensured they were taken care of when they returned home? That is the legacy that I want to pass on to the young members of my family and the generations to come.

What is the torch we want to pass on to them?  The torch of freedom and equality?  The torch that says although we, here and now in 2015, know we still have so many more steps to take to achieve those ideals set forth in our Declaration of Independence, we will continue moving forward?  That even though we may falter at times, we will not stop?  That even when the flame seems quite small and barely flickers, we, like the generations before us, have kept our promise and never let the flame of freedom die out?  That we stood together and stood strong against those who wanted to take our country back to a place of injustice and inequality?   That the same torch of freedom shines in the harbor of New York held by a Statue that represents all the promises seekers will find here?  The torch that welcomes, not burns with hatred and bigotry.  That is the torch I want to pass on to my young family members and the generations to come.

So I stand holding my torch and joining with Hillary Clinton and all those who stand for the present, the future and for the generations to come.  I will pass my torch to my young family members and to the future generations with great pride in and great love for them and my country!  I will tell them" We did this for you!"



No comments:

Post a Comment