Saturday, June 28, 2014

Pieces of a conversation overheard

     I heard pieces of a conversation last Sunday among members of a group after their bible study.  They were in a public place, enjoying a meal and time together.  Those who did most of the talking are conservative, Christian, republican and over the age of fifty.
     The first part of the conversation I heard involved an evangelical preacher who had come from Cuba, Senator Ted Cruz's father.  The person echoed Pastor Cruz's words about all the evangelicals who did not vote.  Another person replied, "Well you get what you vote for."  I knew the person was referring to President Obama. As I walked away, I really wanted to turn around and say, "You are absolutely right!  That is why we have so many members of the Tea Party in office and the government is in such disarray because that's who people voted for!"
     The other part of the conversation I overheard had to with the level of intelligence of United States citizens.  One of the men said, in a rather superior tone, something about people having the mentality of a fifteen year old which created a problem when trying to deal with them.  Once again, I really wanted to say "You are correct, sir!  That is a problem because so many of the people you are talking about are in the Republican Party.  They get their facts and history lessons from Fox News and members of the Republican Party, particularly those who identify themselves with the Tea Party.  Unfortunately, Fox News is only interested is saying/reporting whatever will advance right wing conservative interests. The elected officials, sadly, either never paid attention to, have conveniently forgotten or simply to choose to make up history as it suits them!"
     But I never said a word.  I just walked away because that was not the time, place or people with whom to share my opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment